Sunday, November 24, 2013
Note the callicarpa (beautyberry) coming down on the left of the arrangement. Its purple/pink color picked up the color of the roses. This is one of those compositions that you had to stand there and study, or you'd miss something. There was even colorful nandina foliage included, along with the berries in their orange stage. My camera did not capture this well at all. Large and stunning.
There's no doubt Carla Stoutameyer (Team 8) has an eye for color, and she's not afraid to try different combinations. Here, large, cabbagy dark pink roses ('Pink Floyd') are mixed with orange roses and lilies. Green chrysanthemums, sunflowers, orange deciduous hollies and ornamental grasses and thin cattails add to the color and the lines. The rust-colored container is the perfect touch.
Carla used some holly and anise as greenery. A detail of this composition shows the the lovely juxtaposition of flowers and berries.
A second large arrangement was put together by Peggy Witt and Wendie Britt. I think they had someone from another team also helping. Letsa Marietta was in on this one, as well, I think.
These are essentially the same flowers that were used in the Narthex. This time, you can see some orange peppers were thrown in there, as well.
This arrangement was beautiful from all sides. It was hard to choose a favorite to post. I really loved those apricot-colored roses. The lighter lilies were a good match. Both the Narthex and this arrangement looked like a fall garden.
This arrangement was literally thrown together in record time. An early morning call from an Altar Guild member informed us we had to be out of the Narthex by 10 a.m., due to a funeral.
We did some scrambling, and Peggy got to church early and loaded everything in the wagon. Meanwhile, I crammed a ton of greenery (plus the green pumpkins, snaky squash and a watermelon into my back seat and trunk where there was already a tangle of bittersweet) and drove too fast to the church.
Peggy and Letsa finished this quickly with Wendie Britt. We used greenery from an abandoned property next door to me - solid green pittosporum, Japanese anise and a white Camellia sasanqua. I pulled all the flowers off the latter, and the greenery was dark and lustrous green.
We also had the red berries of aronia in the arrangement. Sadly, the peachy leaves had fallen off. We had orange deciduous holly berries, two or three kinds of roses and two different Asiatic lilies.
Harvest Sunday, 2013. This cornucopia was put together by Team 6, mainly Benjie Jones and Tutta Glass. Gayle Cummings, co-founder of the PRUMC Flower Guild and Donna Ludtke, current chair, found a beautiful selection of pumpkins and gourds for us to use. The green pumpkins are from my farm in Chattahoochee Hills, Georgia. Those snaky looking squash were also grown there.
Gayle purchased the dark basket cornucopia in the mountains for our first Harvest Sunday in 2002. Before that, in the old sanctuary, we had had pink carnations for this most important Thanksgiving service. At that time, there was no flower guild, and a florist either left the flowers that had been there for a wedding or used flowers without regard for the season.
We used magnolia with rust colored backing. This is possibly Magnolia grandiflora 'Bracken's Brown Beauty'. We'll never know because I clipped it from an abandoned property. The other greenery is elaeagnus, but a version that has good thick foliage. This also came from that vacant lot.
Kerry Witt made a stand so the cornucopia would not lie flat. The whole thing is sitting on a white wooden box which is covered in a very soft burlap (left over from my daughter's wedding on October 5th).
Many people took pictures of the display, and I overheard someone saying it looked like a painting. I guess you could say it was actually a still life. Other ingredients: Indian corn, peppers and a watermelon. We had bittersweet to use, but decided against it (this after Peggy Witt and I risked our lives getting it from a busy road!).
Sunday, April 14, 2013
For the week after Easter, this was a nice change. The dogwood at the top was left over from Easter, when it was closed tight. Here, it's just beginning to open. The team re-used the Italian ruscus and added Florida leucothoe from a team member's yard.
When we don't have a wedding, we try to use colors that go well with the stained glass windows in the sanctuary. It also gives us a chance to use brighter hues.
Plant material: Roses in orange and red hues; white chrysanthemums, orange hypericum berries, salmon pink snapdragons; cherry branches